Classroom Management – 15

Having reflected in a general way on classroom management in the introduction to our new book, we turn now to identifying what we already know about the mechanics involved in successfully managing our CI classrooms.

Section 2 – The Mechanics

What are the most proven and effective classroom management strategies that we have developed so far?

The first is, without a doubt, the Classroom Rules. They are the result of trying out hundreds of rules, most of which failed. These are the survivors of 15 years of daily testing.

Here they are:

1. Listen with the intent to understand.

2. One person speaks and the others listen.

3. Support the flow of conversation.

4. Do your 50%.

5. Actors and artists – synchronize your actions with my words.

6. Nothing on desks unless told otherwise. 

We write the rules in L1 so that there is absolutely no question in the students’ minds about what we are conveying to the class when we point to these rules.

We cannot expect children to know how to behave. We must show them what we want, often to the point of sitting down from time to time in a desk and modeling for them the desired behaviors. This is especially true with ninth and tenth graders, whose view of acceptable behaviors may have been distorted in their middle school classrooms, where they may have learned to act in ways that don’t work in comprehension-based classrooms. If, in the first few weeks of school we use these rules constantly, at every turn, in response to every single infraction that we notice as we teach, we will rarely if ever have to use them again.

Share:

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn

2 thoughts on “Classroom Management – 15”

  1. Kim – Rule #2 is the big one. I use it 90% of the time and all the other rules together I use about 10% of the time. The other five rules are only needed in the first few weeks of school, during the intensive training process that guarantees your well-managed academic year, but Rule #2 is just so powerful.

    In the next few articles I will discuss each of the six rules in detail, and then we can move on in our summer reflection on classroom management to some of the other mechanical ways we can keep our little Fauntleroys in line. Then hopefully by next month we’ll get to the new stuff, the internal awareness stuff.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Search

Get The Latest Updates

Subscribe to Our Mailing List

No spam, notifications only about new products, updates.

Related Posts

CI and the Research (cont.)

Admins don’t actually read the research. They don’t have time. If or when they do read it, they do not really grasp it. How could

Research Question

I got a question: “Hi Ben, I am preparing some documents that support CI teaching to show my administrators. I looked through the blog and

We Have the Research

A teacher contacted me awhile back. She had been attacked about using CI from a team leader. I told her to get some research from

The Research

We don’t need any more research. In academia that would be a frivolous comment, but as a classroom teacher in languages I support it. Yes,

$10

~PER MONTH

Subscribe to be a patron and get additional posts by Ben, along with live-streams, and monthly patron meetings!

Also each month, you will get a special coupon code to save 20% on any product once a month.

  • 20% coupon to anything in the store once a month
  • Access to monthly meetings with Ben
  • Access to exclusive Patreon posts by Ben
  • Access to livestreams by Ben